On-page optimization only takes SEO so far. The biggest rankings boost comes from off-page SEO – earning high quality links and signals that increase your site’s authority and relevance.
This comprehensive off-page SEO guide covers what factors matter most today, actionable tactics to build links/mentions, and tracking progress. Follow these best practices to escalate website visibility.
Core Off-Page SEO Factors
Off-page SEO refers to accumulating positive ranking signals that originate away from your website. The key factors include:
Backlinks from Authority Sites
Links from credible, high-authority sites in your niche signal trust and strengthen rankings. Aim for relevant sites with these traits:
- High domain authority and traffic
- Trusted brands and sources
- Limited paid links/ads
- Contextually relevant content
Shoot for a diverse link profile rather than just a few mega links.
Link Anchor Text Variety
The text used in your links impacts SEO value:
- Exact match anchors – Most powerful for targeting specific keywords, but easily over-optimized. Use sparingly.
- Branded anchors – Helps branding and looks natural. Example: “Acme Tools”
- Generic anchors – Natural and beneficial. Example: “click here”, “this site”
- Image links – Gain the link value without text triggers.
Balance anchor text to mimic natural profiles.
For local SEO, build signals like:
- Name, address, phone number (NAP) citations on directories like Yelp
- Reviews on platforms relevant to locals like Facebook
- Links from neighborhood blogs, city sites, local media
Become an integral part of the local community.
Though social signals impact search less directly today, engagement shows content quality:
- Links on high authority sites like Reddit
- Viral interest on Facebook and Twitter
- Embeds and mentions showing popularity
Social feeds into overall authority and perception.
Next we’ll explore proven tactics to build high-quality links and signals at scale.
Actionable Off-Page SEO Tactics
Here are powerful but ethical ways to build your off-page SEO profile:
Produce Linkable Assets
Create resources that websites will naturally want to link to, like:
- Comprehensive industry research reports, ebooks, and datasets
- Tools like calculators, quizzes, assessments
- Curated datasets and lists on engaging topics
- Interviews and guest columns with industry experts
Promote assets through outreach and optimization.
Become the Authority
Establish your brand and site as the trusted resource:
- Pursue guest posting, contributing expert quotes for articles
- Host webinars and virtual events to demonstrate thought leadership
- Develop authority publisher guidelines showcasing your expertise
- Conduct and publish original research studies
Earn links as the de facto authority site to reference.
Update Old Content
Revitalize evergreen content with new data, trends, and perspectives. This earns refreshed links from:
- Relevance to the latest industry developments
- Monitoring ‘best of’ mentions looking for articles to improve upon
Updating existing high-quality content can be very efficient for new links.
Get Help from Influencers
Recruit influencers to boost credibility:
- Sponsor or contribute to their work in exchange for links and mentions
- Conduct co-marketing campaigns or collaborative content
- Interview them or quote their expertise
Influencers lend their credibility and brand exposure.
Build Local Links
For local businesses, focus on neighborhood connections:
- Partner with local charities and events
- Claim and optimize free business directory listings
- Sponsor local organizations and venues
- Guest post for blogs covering city news
Hyper-targeting local links establishes community presence.
Utilizing this mix of link building tactics sustainably over time will continually grow your authority and organic visibility.
Now let’s look at how to track progress.
Measuring and Monitoring Off-Page SEO
Measuring the impact of your off-page efforts keeps strategy aligned with results. Key performance indicators to track include:
- Total backlinks – Monitor total links and rate of growth over time.
- Referring domains – Emphasize diversifying domains vs just accruing links.
- Link equity – Assess overall domain and page authority via Moz and Majestic.
- Traffic – Watch search traffic and conversions respond to link increases.
- Rankings – Track rankings for target keywords in Google Search Console.
- Anchor text – Ensure balance and avoid over-optimization.
- Link velocity – Speed of links acquired weekly/monthly.
SEO crawlers like Ahrefs, Majestic, Moz and SEMRush measure links. In Google Analytics, compare traffic from referring sites to your outreach targets.
A steady upward trajectory across metrics demonstrates off-page progress. Now let’s highlight core takeaways.
Key Off-Page SEO Insights
The main lessons for succeeding with off-page SEO include:
- Secure backlinks from authority sites through outreach and great content. Shoot for relevance over quantity.
- Balance anchor text across branded, generic, image links. Avoid overusing keywords.
- For local SEO, build neighborhood connections through directories, sponsorships, local links.
- Leverage influencers and community to expand brand visibility and trust through co-marketing.
- Measure success through rankings, referring domains, link equity, traffic and velocity.
- Stay patient. Sustainable link building takes time and consistency.
Focus on diversifying high-quality links from trusted sources. Gradually earning authoritative organic signals will compound over time to increase search visibility, traffic, and conversions.
For expanded off-page SEO guidance, check out our detailed guide here [placeholder link]. Get started on boosting your brand’s authority today!